- 1 pound sliced bacon
- 1 ½ cups brandy
- 1 top beef round, about 5 pounds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 bottle dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 12 pearl onions, peeled
- 3 medium-size carrots, peeled and carved into olive-shaped pieces
- 12 small boiled potatoes
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
1524 calories; 67 grams fat; 26 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 28 grams monounsaturated fat; 6 grams polyunsaturated fat; 69 grams carbohydrates; 8 grams dietary fiber; 6 grams sugars; 100 grams protein; 325 milligrams cholesterol; 1153 milligrams sodium
- In ceramic bowl, soak bacon slices in 1/2 cup of brandy for 30 minutes. Place roast in large, heavy oven-proof pot and rub with the salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cover roast with brandied bacon and tie with butcher’s twine to secure. Add red wine and remaining brandy to pot. Place a plate over meat and weight it lightly to keep roast completely submerged. Refrigerate for four hours.
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees.
- Remove roast from refrigerator and place in oven. Braise, covered, for 2 hours. In a skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add onions and saute until lightly brown. Add carrots and saute for 5 more minutes. Using a slotted spoon, add carrots and onions to roast and continue braising for 40 more minutes, until meat registers 140 degrees on a meat thermometer. Serve on a platter, surrounded by vegetables, with potatoes on side.
7 hours 3 minutes