The classic combination of cherries and almonds is irresistible. For this tart, whole pitted cherries are baked in a rich almond batter called frangipane. Softly whipped cream, crème fraîche or vanilla ice cream make nice accompaniments.
For the tart dough:
- 1 cup/125 grams all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup/45 grams granulated sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons/86 grams chilled unsalted butter, in small pieces
- 1 egg yolk beaten with 2 teaspoons water
For the filling:
- 1 cup/4 ounces/112 grams sliced natural (raw) almonds, more for sprinkling
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ½ cup/90 grams granulated sugar
- 4 ounces/1 stick/112 grams unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 12 ounces/350 grams pitted cherries (about 1 3/4 cups)
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
582 calories; 38 grams fat; 18 grams saturated fat; 1 gram trans fat; 13 grams monounsaturated fat; 3 grams polyunsaturated fat; 52 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams dietary fiber; 30 grams sugars; 9 grams protein; 152 milligrams cholesterol; 77 milligrams sodium
6 to 8 servings
- Make the tart dough: Combine flour, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl. Work in butter thoroughly. Stir in egg yolk mixture and knead briefly until dough is smooth, then form into a flat disk.
- Roll dough to a large circle and lay it in a 10-inch/23-centimeter fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Press in well (patch any cracks with extra dough). Refrigerate or freeze for 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Blind bake tart shell until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. (You do not need to cover the shell or use pie weights.)
- Meanwhile, make the filling: Put almonds, flour and sugar in work bowl of food processor and grind to a rough powder. Add butter and pulse until well incorporated. Add eggs and almond extract and process until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. (Alternatively, use ground almonds and make batter with a mixer instead.)
- Pour almond batter into prebaked shell and smooth with a spatula. Press cherries into batter in a single layer. Sprinkle with a handful of sliced almonds. Lower oven temperature to 375 degrees and bake until golden, 30 to 40 minutes. (An inserted skewer should come out clean.) Cool on a rack and remove outer rim of tart pan. Place tart on a serving dish and dust with confectioners’ sugar.