- ¾ pound spaghetti
- ¾ pound ripe plum tomatoes with skin removed or 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped jalapeno pepper (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil or Italian parsley
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan or pecorino cheese
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
451 calories; 11 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 6 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 68 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams dietary fiber; 4 grams sugars; 17 grams protein; 9 milligrams cholesterol; 205 milligrams sodium
- Bring two quarts of salted water to boil in a kettle. Add the spaghetti, stir well and bring back to a boil, stirring while cooking. Cook to the desired degree of doneness. Reserve a quarter-cup of the cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, cut the tomatoes into 1/4 inch cubes.
- In a skillet or kettle, add olive oil and the garlic. Cook briefly, stirring. Do not brown. Add the tomatoes, jalapeno pepper, salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring. Add the spaghetti, basil or parsley, reserved cooking liquid and cheese, toss well and serve.