- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened, plus butter for greasing pan
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup cooked, unseasoned pumpkin puree
- ½ cup ground walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (12 servings)
270 calories; 17 grams fat; 7 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 4 grams monounsaturated fat; 5 grams polyunsaturated fat; 26 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram dietary fiber; 17 grams sugars; 3 grams protein; 54 milligrams cholesterol; 111 milligrams sodium
8 to 16 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour an 8-inch-square baking pan.
- Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together; set aside.
- Cream six tablespoons of butter with the sugar until soft and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each is added. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the pumpkin puree, stir to blend, then stir in the ground walnuts and the vanilla.
- Place in the oven and bake about 40 minutes, until the cake is nicely browned and springs back to the touch. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely, then remove from the pan before icing.
- To ice the cake, melt the chocolate in a double boiler or over very low heat. Stir in two tablespoons of butter and allow to cool to room temperature. Beat until smooth, then stir in the cream and rum. Spread the icing on the top of the cake and sprinkle with the chopped walnuts. Cut into 16 squares before serving.