- 4 Granny Smith apples (7 ounces each), peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 ½ teaspoons cornstarch
- 5 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons sweet butter
- 3 ounces amaretti cookies
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
314 calories; 13 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 6 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 44 grams carbohydrates; 5 grams dietary fiber; 28 grams sugars; 4 grams protein; 10 milligrams cholesterol; 63 milligrams sodium
- Place apples in an 8-by-8-by-2-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. Add 3 tablespoons of the lemon juice, and toss to combine.
- Place the cornstarch in a very small bowl. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice. Stir in remaining 2 teaspoons lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar and the almond extract, nutmeg and cloves.
- Add the cornstarch mixture and almonds to the apples, and toss to combine. Cover tightly with microwave plastic wrap. Cook at 100 percent power in a high-power oven for 7 minutes, stirring once. Then prick the plastic to release steam.
- Remove from the oven, uncover and set aside. Preheat the broiler.
- Place the butter in a 1-cup glass measure. Cook, uncovered, for 1 minute, then remove from the oven.
- Place the butter, amaretti and remaining brown sugar in a food processor. Process until finely chopped. Sprinkle over the apples, and brown under broiler for about 3 minutes.