- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped fresh fennel
- ½ pound carrots, scraped and chopped fine
- ⅔ pound onions, chopped fine
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped fine
- ¼ pound chunk prosciutto, diced
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian sweet paprika
- ¼ teaspoon Hungarian hot paprika
- 1 heaping cup red lentils
- 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 pound spaghettini
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
513 calories; 7 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 4 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 86 grams carbohydrates; 8 grams dietary fiber; 7 grams sugars; 24 grams protein; 13 milligrams cholesterol; 560 milligrams sodium
- Heat oil in nonstick skillet and saute fennel, carrots, onions, garlic, prosciutto and red pepper flakes until vegetables are soft, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add paprikas and saute for another 2 minutes to coat vegetables.
- Add lentils and 5 cups of water; bring to boil, lower heat and simmer until lentils are soft but not mushy, 10 to 12 minutes. Season with salt if desired.
- Meanwhile, bring water to boil for pasta in covered pot. Cook pasta and drain. Stir into lentil sauce and toss. Serve immediately or sauce will thicken too much.