- ½ pound dried chickpeas
- ½ pound dried baby lima beans
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds lean boneless lamb shoulder, cut in chunks
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon ground saffron
- 16 medium-sized new potatoes, peeled
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut in 2-inch chunks
- 4 eggs in their shells (optional)
- Juice of one lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (8 servings)
622 calories; 32 grams fat; 11 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 14 grams monounsaturated fat; 3 grams polyunsaturated fat; 53 grams carbohydrates; 9 grams dietary fiber; 7 grams sugars; 30 grams protein; 81 milligrams cholesterol; 445 milligrams sodium
Eight to ten servings
- Place chickpeas and beans in a bowl, cover with water to a depth of 2 inches and soak at least 4 hours or overnight. Drain and rinse the beans.
- Heat the oil in a heavy casserole. Add onions and saute until golden. Stir in the garlic, saute for a minute or so, then remove the vegetables from the casserole.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Add lamb and saute until lightly browned. Stir in coriander, cumin and saffron. Stir in drained beans and the onion and garlic mixture. Tuck the potatoes, carrots and eggs (if using) among the other ingredients. Add 6 cups water. Bring to simmer.
- Skim the surface of the casserole, then cover and place in oven. Bake mixture for 1 1/2 hours, then add lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper. Place a layer of foil over casserole and place the lid back on. Lower temperature to 250 degrees. Bake 6 hours or longer, until liquid has been absorbed but ingredients are still moist.
- To serve, remove eggs, peel them, cut them in half and arrange them on top of the dfina. Sprinkle the dfina with toasted almonds and chopped mint.
7 hours 45 minutes