- 1 cup dried kidney beans
- ½ cup dried cannellini beans
- ½ cup dried Great Northern beans
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- ½ pound thick-sliced smoked bacon, in 1-inch pieces
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ cup crushed canned tomatoes
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- Grated rind of one orange
- ½ tablespoon crushed black peppercorns
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh coriander leaves
- ¼ cup cider vinegar (approximately)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
767 calories; 27 grams fat; 8 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 12 grams monounsaturated fat; 4 grams polyunsaturated fat; 102 grams carbohydrates; 23 grams dietary fiber; 37 grams sugars; 32 grams protein; 37 milligrams cholesterol; 456 milligrams sodium
Four to six servings
- Place beans in a bowl, cover with cold water to a depth of 2 inches, add thyme and allow to soak at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Heat a heavy 2- to 3-quart casserole. Add cumin seeds and stir until they begin to dance around and smell toasty. Remove seeds and set aside.
- Add oil. Saute the onion, carrot and bacon for 10 minutes, until the bacon is golden. Add jalapeno pepper, garlic and cumin seeds and cook a few minutes longer.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Drain beans and add to the casserole along with canned and fresh tomatoes, maple syrup, brown sugar, bay leaf, orange rind and crushed peppercorns. Stir in all but 1 tablespoon of the coriander. Add 2 cups cold water. Cover and bring to slow simmer.
- Place beans in oven and cook for 1 hour. Add vinegar and season to taste with salt. Cook 1 hour longer, until liquid has been absorbed but the beans are still moist.
- Adjust seasonings. Add salt and pepper and up to 2 more tablespoons cider vinegar if desired. Garnish with reserved coriander.
- This recipe can be prepared without bacon; increase the olive oil to four tablespoons.