- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup dry white wine
- ½ cup grated lemon rind
- ½ cup fresh thyme leaves
- ½ cup fresh oregano leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 4 quail
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 onion, peeled and minced
- 6 cups chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium canned
- 1 ½ cups Arborio rice
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 ½ cups fresh peas
- 1 cup fresh morel mushrooms
- ½ cup chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
864 calories; 33 grams fat; 8 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 16 grams monounsaturated fat; 5 grams polyunsaturated fat; 79 grams carbohydrates; 10 grams dietary fiber; 7 grams sugars; 47 grams protein; 91 milligrams cholesterol; 2715 milligrams sodium
- Combine the olive oil, wine, lemon rind, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper in a bowl. Add the quail and marinate for 2 hours. Prepare the grill. Cook quail over hot coals until medium rare, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the butter in a heavy-bottomed skillet or pot. Add the onion, season lightly with salt and pepper to taste, stir and cover. Cook for 3 minutes until soft. Place the broth in a separate saucepan and simmer.
- Add the rice to the onion and stir to combine. Ladle in 1/2 cup of the broth and stir. Increase the heat to medium high and, for the next 25 minutes, continue adding broth, 1/2 cup at a time and stirring constantly. After 15 minutes, add the white wine. After 5 more minutes, add the peas and mushrooms. Stir well. The rice should be tender but firm. If not, add more broth. Adjust seasoning with additional salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the parsley. Divide the rice among 4 warmed plates. Place the quail in the center and serve.
About 3 hours