- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1-inch piece cinnamon stick
- 4 3-by-1-inch strips lemon zest
- 1 small vanilla bean
- 6 small, firm red plums (about 1 pound)
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
296 calories; 0 grams fat; 0 grams saturated fat; 0 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 75 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram dietary fiber; 74 grams sugars; 0 grams protein; 4 milligrams sodium
- Stir sugar and water together in a 2 1/2-quart souffle dish. Add cinnamon stick. Cook, uncovered, at 100 percent in a high-power oven for 3 minutes. Stir thoroughly, making sure there are no grains on the bottom of the dish. Cover with a lid or microwave plastic wrap. Cook for 6 minutes. Prick plastic, if used, to release steam.
- Remove from oven and uncover. Stir in lemon zest and vanilla bean. Add plums. Cook, covered, at 100 percent power in a high-power oven for 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and uncover. Let cool. Remove vanilla bean and store, tightly covered, in the refrigerator.
- Serve chilled, in a bowl, with some of the syrup.
- To make 10 plums: Use same quantity syrup. In Step 2, cook in a high-power oven for 10 minutes or in a low-power oven for 18 minutes.