- ¼ pound pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 small onion, peeled and minced
- 3 cups thinly sliced white mushrooms
- 1 cup chicken livers, cleaned
- ¾ cup hearty red wine
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 chicken legs, separated at the joint
- 8 sage leaves
- 4 teaspoons salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ pound penne
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
1184 calories; 70 grams fat; 19 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 28 grams monounsaturated fat; 14 grams polyunsaturated fat; 49 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams dietary fiber; 4 grams sugars; 78 grams protein; 533 milligrams cholesterol; 2852 milligrams sodium
- Heat a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Add the pancetta and cook, stirring, until it begins to render fat. Add the minced onion and saute until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and saute until browned and softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken livers and cook, stirring constantly, just until browned on the outside, about 2 minutes. Add the wine and vinegar and simmer for 2 minutes, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place a sage leaf under the skin of each piece of chicken. Season with 3 teaspoons of the salt and pepper to taste. Place the chicken in a roasting pan and roast until the skin is brown and crisp and the chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the penne to the water and cook until al dente, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken legs from the pan and tent with foil to keep them warm. Pour the fat from the pan and place the pan over medium-high heat. Pour in the mushroom mixture and simmer, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon, for about 2 minutes. Season with the remaining teaspoon of salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Pour the sauce over the pasta and toss to coat well. Place 1 thigh and 1 drumstick on each of 4 plates. Spoon the pasta beside the chicken and serve immediately.
About 1 hour