For the cake:
- Butter for pan
- 1 cup blanched slivered almonds
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 egg whites
- ½ cup melted butter, cooled
For the compote:
- 1 375-milliliter bottle orange muscat wine
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ vanilla bean, split
- 4 stalks rhubarb, trimmed, cut into 1 1/4-inch lengths and then cut lengthwise into thin slices
- 18 strawberries, hulled and sliced thin
- Powdered sugar
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
621 calories; 23 grams fat; 10 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 8 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 90 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams dietary fiber; 66 grams sugars; 6 grams protein; 40 milligrams cholesterol; 209 milligrams sodium
- To make the cake, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 10-inch cake pan, and set aside. Place the almonds and the sugar in a food processor, and process until the almonds are ground. Transfer to a large bowl, and stir in the flour and salt until well combined.
- In another bowl, whip the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Stir the butter and one third of the egg whites into the dry mixture. Gently fold in the remaining whites. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Place on a rack to cool for 10 minutes. Turn cake out of the pan, turn upright, and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the compote. Combine the wine, water, sugar and vanilla bean in a nonreactive saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and add the rhubarb. Poach for 1 minute, and remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the rhubarb to a bowl, and set aside. Return the pan to the heat, and boil until liquid has reduced to 1 cup, about 12 minutes. Set aside. When cool, pour the liquid over the rhubarb.
- Assemble just before serving. Cut the cake into wedges. Spoon the compote onto 6 plates, and top with a wedge of cake. Place strawberry slices over cake, and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve immediately.