- 1 shad, 4 pounds, dressed
- Salt to taste, if desired
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 to 5 cups water
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 ribs celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- Beurre nantais sauce (see recipe), optional
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
623 calories; 41 grams fat; 9 grams saturated fat; 17 grams monounsaturated fat; 9 grams polyunsaturated fat; 2 grams carbohydrates; 0 grams dietary fiber; 0 grams sugars; 51 grams protein; 226 milligrams cholesterol; 641 milligrams sodium
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Wash shad and dry with paper towels. Sprinkle inside and out with salt and pepper.
- Put fish on rack of baking pan. Add four cups of water and wine to level just under fish. Add remaining ingredients except the sauce. If necessary, add fifth cup of water to prevent burning.
- Cover tightly and steam for five hours. Baste often. Serve sliced crosswise through bones, with herb butter sauce if desired.
5 hours 10 minutes