- A 1-pound eggplant, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, or more, to taste
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium-size zucchini, diced
- 3 medium-large ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, juiced and diced
- 2 large sprigs fresh thyme
- ¼ cup slivered basil leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
87 calories; 2 grams fat; 0 grams saturated fat; 1 gram monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 14 grams carbohydrates; 5 grams dietary fiber; 8 grams sugars; 3 grams protein; 154 milligrams sodium
- Preheat a grill or broiler. Grill or broil the eggplant slices until they are nicely browned, turning them once to brown both sides. Coarsely chop the eggplant and set it aside.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a heavy skillet. Add the onion, red pepper and garlic and saute over low heat until these vegetables are tender. Add the zucchini and tomatoes, increase the heat to medium-high and continue cooking the mixture, stirring it from time to time, until the zucchini has wilted. Stir in the diced eggplant.
- Add the thyme, basil, salt and pepper and vinegar. Cook a few minutes longer until the ingredients are nicely combined. At this point additional olive oil can be added to taste.
- Serve the ratatouille hot or at room temperature.