- 2 pounds cleaned squid
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups crustless country bread torn in small pieces
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 6 ripe plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, sliced thin 2 tablespoons finely minced
- Italian parsley
- Hot red pepper flakes to taste
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
311 calories; 14 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 8 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 19 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 3 grams sugars; 26 grams protein; 352 milligrams cholesterol; 169 milligrams sodium
6 to 8 servings
- Slice the squid into thin rings and coarsely chop the tentacles. Preheat an oven or toaster oven to 400 degrees. Bring two quarts of water to a boil.
- When the water is boiling, add the juice of half a lemon and season it with a teaspoon of salt. Add the squid and stir and when the water returns to a boil, drain the squid and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Spread the bread on a baking sheet, place in the oven and bake until the bread has dried out and turned lightly golden.
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet, stir in the garlic, remove from the heat immediately, pour the oil and garlic over toasted bread, stirring well.
- Place the squid in a serving bowl and toss with the remaining lemon juice. Fold in the tomatoes, onion, parsley and hot red pepper to taste. Just before serving, fold in the toasted bread along with any oil and garlic in the pan. Season to taste with salt and serve.