- 1 link Italian hot sausage
- ¼ pound corned beef in one piece
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- ½ Scotch bonnet pepper or other small hot chili, seeded and minced, or hot red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoons whole allspice
- ½ teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 6 cups beef stock
- 2 cups shredded callaloo, spinach, mustard greens or other greens
- 1 medium-size carrot, peeled and diced
- ½ pound yuca, peeled and diced
- ¾ cup diced chayote or yellow squash
- Salt to taste
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
156 calories; 6 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 2 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 15 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 3 grams sugars; 11 grams protein; 18 milligrams cholesterol; 809 milligrams sodium
- Dice the sausage, place it in a 3- to 4-quart saucepan and cook over medium heat until lightly browned. Dice the corned beef, add it and continue to cook a few minutes. Add the onion, scallions, bay leaf and thyme, and continue to cook until the onion is tender. Stir in the hot chili or pepper.
- In a mortar or spice grinder, crush the allspice and peppercorns and add them to the pot. Stir, then add the stock. Bring to a simmer, and add the greens. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the carrot, yuca and squash and cook about 10 minutes longer. Taste, adjust the amount of pepper if necessary and season with salt. Remove the bay leaf and thyme before serving.