- 6 salmon steaks (with bone), 8 to 10 ounces each
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon garam masala (see note)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 2 ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon tamarind concentrate (optional)
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh mint leaves
- Pinch of ground cumin
- Pinch of ground turmeric
- 1 pint plain low-fat yogurt
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
768 calories; 46 grams fat; 18 grams saturated fat; 2 grams trans fat; 22 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 29 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 26 grams sugars; 56 grams protein; 163 milligrams cholesterol; 488 milligrams sodium
- About three hours in advance, rub the salmon steaks with the oil, garlic and garam masala. Cover and refrigerate.
- While the fish is marinating, melt the sugar in a saucepan; then, add 2 tablespoons of the ginger and the vinegar. Bring to a simmer, and cook for a minute; then, add the mangoes. Simmer over low heat about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, so the mangoes don’t stick. The mangoes should hold their shape. Remove from the heat, and refrigerate.
- Whisk the honey with the tamarind concentrate (if using), the remaining ginger, the mint leaves, the cumin and the turmeric. Fold into the yogurt, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate.
- Preheat the grill. Remove salmon from marinade, and grill 4 to 5 minutes on each side, or until cooked to taste. Serve accompanied by the cooked mango and the yogurt sauce.
- Garam masala is an Indian spice blend available in some food shops. It can be made by combining a tablespoon each of ground spices: coriander, cumin, black pepper, cayenne, fennel seeds, ginger cinnamon and cardamom, plus a teaspoon each of ground cloves and nutmeg.