- 1 lemon
- 48 baby artichokes
- 2 cups water
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cup Italian parsley without stems
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
186 calories; 9 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 5 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 19 grams carbohydrates; 8 grams dietary fiber; 2 grams sugars; 8 grams protein; 6 milligrams cholesterol; 352 milligrams sodium
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice into a bowl. Trim off the top half-inch of each artichoke and cut the base flat. Toss the artichokes in the lemon juice.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring the water to a simmer in a saucepan, add the garlic cloves and cook three minutes. Add the parsley and cook two minutes longer, then drain, reserving the liquid.
- Mix the artichokes with the olive oil in a heavy ovenproof casserole or shallow saucepan. Scatter the blanched garlic and parsley around them. Stir in three-fourths cup of the reserved liquid. Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and separate the artichokes from the other ingredients. Set the artichokes aside. Remove and discard three of the garlic cloves, then puree the remaining garlic with the parsley and the bread crumbs, adding another half cup of the liquid. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over the artichokes and serve warm or at room temperature sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.