- 1 cup long grain rice
- 8 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 8 ounces whole red pepper or 7 ounces ready-cut julienned red pepper (1 1/2 cups)
- 3 stalks bok choy
- 2 tablespoons fresh or frozen ginger
- 2 to 3 teaspoons hot chili paste (with or without garlic)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sweet sake or dry sherry
- ¾ cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons scallions
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (2 servings)
698 calories; 14 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 6 grams monounsaturated fat; 3 grams polyunsaturated fat; 100 grams carbohydrates; 5 grams dietary fiber; 15 grams sugars; 34 grams protein; 72 milligrams cholesterol; 727 milligrams sodium
- Combine rice with 2 cups of water and bring to boil. Reduce heat, and cook until rice is tender and liquid has been absorbed, 17 minutes total.
- While the rice is cooking, wash, dry and cut chicken into narrow strips; heat nonstick pan large enough to hold all the ingredients over high heat.
- Add oil to pan. Reduce heat to medium, and add chicken; brown on both sides.
- Mince garlic; wash, trim and seed whole red pepper, and cut into julienned strips. Add garlic and pepper to chicken, and continue cooking.
- Wash, trim and cut bok choy crosswise into narrow strips, and cut in half; add to pan, and cover. Cook over low heat.
- Grate ginger coarsely, and add to pan with chili paste, vinegar, sake or sherry, pineapple juice and soy sauce. Continue cooking until vegetables are crisp but tender.
- Wash, trim and slice scallions.
- When rice is cooked, stir it into the chicken and vegetables, and mix well. Season with salt, and cook a minute or two. Serve sprinkled with scallions.