- 2 heads Savoy cabbage
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium canned
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ cups grated Emmental cheese
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
393 calories; 32 grams fat; 17 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 9 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 8 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams dietary fiber; 3 grams sugars; 18 grams protein; 94 milligrams cholesterol; 1577 milligrams sodium
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Core and quarter each head of cabbage and blanch in the boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain well and let cool. Cut the cabbage into 1/4-inch-thick slices and set aside.
- Place the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat and saute until crisp. Add the cabbage, salt and pepper and continue to cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Cover and cook 5 minutes longer. Pour half of the chicken broth in the bottom of a 1 1/2-quart casserole or baking dish. Add the cabbage mixture and drizzle the remaining chicken broth over the top. Bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat the broiler. Pour the remaining chicken broth off the cabbage. Drizzle the heavy cream over the cabbage and sprinkle with the grated cheese. Place under the broiler until brown and bubbly, about 3 minutes. Divide among 4 plates and serve immediately.