- 2 large ripe coconuts
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Ground nutmeg
- Ground cinnamon
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (8 servings)
553 calories; 43 grams fat; 38 grams saturated fat; 1 gram monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 43 grams carbohydrates; 11 grams dietary fiber; 24 grams sugars; 4 grams protein; 172 milligrams sodium
- Using a hammer and a carpenter’s nail, pierce the eyes of the coconuts and make holes about 2 inches deep. Drain liquid and reserve.
- Using a hammer, split coconuts and remove meat from shell. Peel the brown skin from the coconut meat. Break meat into pieces, rinse and grate finely.
- Add enough water to reserved coconut liquid so that it measures 3 1/2 cups. Bring liquid to a boil and add grated coconut. Drain coconut into a strainer, pressing to extract the liquid into a bowl.
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil and add to the coconut in the colander, again pressing to extract the liquid. Discard the coconut.
- In a medium saucepan, combine cornstarch, sugar, salt and vanilla. Whisk in coconut milk and blend well. Cook on moderate heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until mixture thickens. Reduce heat to low and stir until mixture bubbles.
- Remove from heat and pour into 8 slightly wet 2-ounce molds or a 2 1/2- to 3-cup pan or mold. Refrigerate until cooled and set. Invert onto a serving dish. Sprinkle with nutmeg and cinnamon and serve.