- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup (2 ounces) bulk sausage
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ⅓ cup finely diced celery
- ½ cup finely diced carrot
- ½ pound finely ground beef
- ½ pound finely ground pork
- 2 chicken livers, finely chopped, about 1/3 cup
- ½ teaspoon rosemary
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt to taste, if desired
- A generous grinding of black pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups imported canned Italian plum tomatoes
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (8 servings)
299 calories; 23 grams fat; 9 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 10 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 5 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram dietary fiber; 3 grams sugars; 14 grams protein; 95 milligrams cholesterol; 214 milligrams sodium
- Heat the butter and oil in a heavy saucepan or casserole and add the sausage, onion, celery and carrot. Cook, stirring, until onion is wilted.
- Add the beef, pork and chicken livers and cook, stirring down with the side of a heavy metal spoon to break up lumps, until meats lose their raw look. Add the rosemary, nutmeg, salt, pepper, wine and tomato paste. Stir to blend.
- Puree the tomatoes in a food processor or blender or crush them by hand. Add the tomatoes and the broth. Bring to a boil and let simmer, skimming the surface of fat, 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir in the basil and cream and remove from the heat.
About 2 hours