- 8 quails, wing tips removed
- 12 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 16 thin slices pancetta
- 2 ½ cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
994 calories; 73 grams fat; 23 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 29 grams monounsaturated fat; 14 grams polyunsaturated fat; 20 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 1 gram sugars; 59 grams protein; 242 milligrams cholesterol; 2057 milligrams sodium
- To prepare the quails, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place 1 sprig of rosemary in the cavity of each quail, cutting the sprigs as needed to fit. Wrap 2 pieces of pancetta around each quail and tie securely with string. Set aside.
- To prepare the polenta, combine the water and salt in a medium-size saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Whisking constantly, add the cornmeal to the pan very gradually, pouring it in a light, steady stream. Change from a whisk to a wooden spoon and reduce the heat so that the mixture is at a slow simmer. Stir constantly until the polenta thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, when the polenta is almost done, place the quails in the oven and roast for 10 minutes. Remove the string. Divide the polenta among 4 plates and top each serving with 2 of the quails. Garnish with a sprig of rosemary and serve immediately.