- 1 ½ teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 ½ cups mixed wild mushrooms, like shiitake, cremini and portobello
- 1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 pheasants, wing tips removed
- 2 heads roasted garlic
- 8 medium-size carrots, peeled, halved crosswise and quartered lengthwise
- 4 small baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 6 pieces
- 6 small onions, peeled and quartered
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
1002 calories; 39 grams fat; 11 grams saturated fat; 18 grams monounsaturated fat; 5 grams polyunsaturated fat; 60 grams carbohydrates; 8 grams dietary fiber; 12 grams sugars; 98 grams protein; 284 milligrams cholesterol; 555 milligrams sodium
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Place 1/2 teaspoon of the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook for about 15 seconds. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms have given off their liquid and most liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Stir in the parsley, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper to taste.
- Use your fingers to carefully loosen the skin over the breasts on each pheasant. Place some of the mushroom duxelle under the skin of each bird. Place 1 head of roasted garlic into the cavity of each bird. Rub the remaining teaspoon of olive oil over the skin of the pheasants. Season with salt and pepper. Tie the legs together. Place in a large roasting pan and surround with the carrots, potatoes and onions.
- Roast for 15 minutes, stopping once to run a spatula under the pheasants to prevent them from sticking. Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees. Roast until the juices run slightly pink when pricked with a fork in the thickest part of the leg, about 30 minutes longer. Let stand for 10 minutes. Remove the string. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper. Cut the pheasants in half and serve with the roasted vegetables.
1 hour 15 minutes