- 2 cups red lentils
- ¼ cup long-grain rice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup peeled, finely diced tomato
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 9 cups chicken or vegetable stock or water
- Salt to taste
- ½ tablespoon finely chopped mint
- 2 cups plain toasted bread cubes
- Lemon wedges
- Plain yogurt
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (8 servings)
401 calories; 11 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 6 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 55 grams carbohydrates; 6 grams dietary fiber; 7 grams sugars; 21 grams protein; 8 milligrams cholesterol; 495 milligrams sodium
- Place the lentils and rice in a sieve, rinse well and allow to drain.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a heavy four-quart saucepan. Add the onion, and saute until soft but not brown. Stir in the tomato paste, tomato, paprika and cayenne pepper. Add the lentils, rice and stock. Stir well, and simmer, covered, 30 minutes, until the rice is cooked and the lentils have virtually dissolved into a puree. Stir from time to time.
- Add salt to taste. If the soup is too thick, add a little water.
- Serve each portion sprinkled with mint leaves and croutons, with lemon wedges and yogurt on the side.