- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 6 pieces oxtail (about 3 1/4 pounds), each about 2 inches thick
- 2 onions (8 ounces), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled (1/4 cup)
- ¼ cup 1-inch pieces unpeeled ginger
- 2 cups water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 12 ounces mushrooms (about 24 mushrooms), washed just before use
- 2 pounds large potatoes, peeled, washed and cut crosswise into 1-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or chives (optional)
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
3764 calories; 270 grams fat; 108 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 117 grams monounsaturated fat; 10 grams polyunsaturated fat; 35 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams dietary fiber; 4 grams sugars; 280 grams protein; 972 milligrams cholesterol; 1542 milligrams sodium
- Heat the oil over high heat in a very sturdy saucepan. Meanwhile, trim any surrounding fat from the pieces of oxtail. Then, place them in one layer in the hot oil. Reduce the heat to medium, partly cover the pan (about three-quarters of the way) to reduce the possibility of splattering, and cook for about 30 minutes, turning occasionally, until the meat is brown on all sides. Discard any fat that has accumulated in the pan.
- Place the onion, garlic, ginger pieces and 1 cup of the water in the bowl of a food processor, and process until finely chopped. Add the mixture to the saucepan with the remaining cup of water, the salt, cinnamon, chili powder and soy sauce. Mix well, bring to a boil, cover, reduce the heat to low, and boil very gently for two hours.
- Transfer the pieces of oxtail from the pan to a plate, and remove and discard as much fat as possible from the surface of the liquid in the pan. Return the meat to the pan along with the mushrooms. Mix well; then, arrange the potato slices on top of the stew in the pan. Bring the mixture to a strong boil, cover, reduce the heat to low and cook for 30 minutes.
- Divide the potato slices among six plates, and place an oxtail on top of the potatoes on each. Spoon some sauce over the meat and potatoes, and sprinkle on some chopped herbs, if desired. Serve.