- 2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 ½ teaspoons Hungarian paprika
- 1 10-ounce package frozen peas
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
350 calories; 9 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 5 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 15 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams dietary fiber; 6 grams sugars; 51 grams protein; 369 milligrams cholesterol; 945 milligrams sodium
- Bring a quart of water to boil and add the shrimp and the turmeric. Cook three to four minutes, then drain the shrimp, reserving the cooking water.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet and saute the onion for about 10 minutes, until it is lightly browned. Add the garlic and cook for half a minute.
- Turn down the heat and add the cumin, coriander and paprika. Cook 10 seconds, stirring, then add a cup of the shrimp cooking water. Cook 10 minutes, then add remaining shrimp cooking water and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thick (about 20 minutes).
- Add shrimp and peas and heat through. Stir in the yogurt and heat it through. Correct seasoning, sprinkle shrimp with coriander and serve.