- 12 cups beef broth (see recipe)
- 1 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
- ½ -inch piece peeled fresh ginger, sliced
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 medium head Napa cabbage, halved lengthwise and cut across into 1-inch strips
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 scallions, minced
- 2 tablespoons seeded and minced hot red chilies
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
The cucumber salad:
- 1 scallion, minced
- 2 small jalapenos, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- 3 medium cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and thinly sliced crosswise
The finishing touches:
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- 8 scallions, sliced on the diagonal into 1/4-inch-thick pieces
- 2 cups grated daikon or regular radish
- ½ pound beef eye round, sliced for carpaccio by your butcher
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
423 calories; 4 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 1 gram monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 72 grams carbohydrates; 10 grams dietary fiber; 17 grams sugars; 26 grams protein; 23 milligrams cholesterol; 5272 milligrams sodium
- To make the soup, place the broth, mushrooms and ginger in a large pot and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain. Stir in soy.
- At least 1 day ahead, toss the cabbage with the salt in a large bowl and let stand at room temperature for 3 hours. Rinse and firmly press out the liquid. Combine the ginger, garlic, 4 minced scallions, red chilies, fish sauce, water and soy and toss with the cabbage until well coated. Place in a tightly sealed container and refrigerate up to 5 days.
- For the cucumber salad, combine 1 scallion, jalapenos, vinegar, sesame oil, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and sesame seeds in a bowl, add the cucumbers and toss well. Set aside.
- Toss the rice with the chives. Place the kimchi, the cucumber salad, the rice, the scallions and the radish in separate bowls. Arrange the carpaccio on a plate. Ladle the soup into bowls. Serve, passing the condiments separately.
About 3 hours 45 minutes