The recipe will work in a food processor of any make provided it is of standard size. The egg whites do whip, but not quite to a degree that one can achieve by using a wire whisk or an electric mixer, but the technique is delectable in this cake recipe.
- ½ pound, plus 2 teaspoons, butter
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- ½ cup, plus 1 tablespoon, powdered cocoa
- 1 tablespoon instant powdered coffee
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup, plus 2 tablespoons, plain yogurt
- Mocha frosting (see recipe)
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (12 servings)
341 calories; 19 grams fat; 11 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 5 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 40 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram dietary fiber; 29 grams sugars; 5 grams protein; 121 milligrams cholesterol; 286 milligrams sodium
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter the inside of a 12-to 14-cup Bundt pan with two teaspoons of softened butter.
- Into a mixing bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Outfit the container of a food processor with a metal blade. Put the egg whites and one-quarter cup of sugar into the food processor. Process about eight seconds. With the machine running, add the water through the feed tube. Process two minutes or until the mixture is thick and holds its shape in the work bowl.
- Scrape the mixture into a one-quart mixing bowl. Do not wash the container in which the eggs were blended. Return it to the machine.
- Add the egg yolks, one and one-half cups of the sugar, cocoa and coffee powder. Process one minute. Stop the machine.
- Cut the half pound of butter into eight pieces and add to the processor. Process one minute, stopping the machine occasionally to scrape down the inside of the container.
- Add the vanilla and yogurt and process about five seconds.
- Add the flour mixture. Turn the machine on and off several times, using the pulsing technique just until the flour mixture is almost totally incorporated. Do not overprocess.
- Scrape the egg whites into the container. Pulse two or three times longer or until egg whites are almost, but not totally, blended.
- Pour and scrape the mixture into the buttered pan. Place in the oven and bake 35 minutes, or until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan 10 minutes.
- Invert the cake onto a wire rack and remove the cake from the pan. Let cool completely. Frost with mocha frosting.
1 hour 30 minutes