- 1 ½ teaspoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 yellow and 2 green bell peppers, stemmed, cored, seeded, deribbed and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut across into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 ¾ teaspoons salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup skim milk ricotta
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 8 imported black olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 5 red bell peppers, roasted (see recipe)
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
414 calories; 15 grams fat; 6 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 5 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 29 grams carbohydrates; 9 grams dietary fiber; 16 grams sugars; 39 grams protein; 164 milligrams cholesterol; 1780 milligrams sodium
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon of the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the peppers and cook for 10 minutes. Add the zucchini and eggplant and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the rosemary, vinegar, 2 teaspoons of salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 15 minutes longer. Scrape the mixture into a colander, place over a bowl and let drain for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the ricotta and egg together. Stir in the olives, lemon zest, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper. Set aside. Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a medium-size nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until lightly browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut the roasted peppers in half and quarter each half. Layer 1/3 of the pepper pieces in the bottom of a deep, 9-inch cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet or deep-dish casserole. Spread half the ricotta mixture over the peppers and top with half the eggplant mixture. Repeat layers of pepper, ricotta and eggplant, finishing with a layer of roasted peppers on top. Bake until the pie is heated through, about 30 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve.
1 hour 30 minutes