- 8 ounces whole onion or 7 ounces chopped ready-cut onion (1 2/3 cups)
- ¾ cup long grain rice
- 1 ½ cups no-salt-added chicken broth
- 2 scallions
- 1 pound fresh loose spinach or 10 ounces fresh packaged spinach
- A few shakes of salt
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (2 servings)
420 calories; 3 grams fat; 0 grams saturated fat; 1 gram monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 81 grams carbohydrates; 8 grams dietary fiber; 9 grams sugars; 17 grams protein; 5 milligrams cholesterol; 1609 milligrams sodium
- While the onion is cooking (see chicken recipe), combine the rice and chicken broth, and bring to a boil in a heavy-bottomed pot. Cover and simmer, cooking for a total of 17 minutes.
- When the onion is browned, stir it into the cooking rice.
- Wash, trim and slice the scallions, and add to rice; continue cooking.
- Wash and trim tough stems from spinach, and cut coarsely. About 2 minutes before the rice is ready, stir in the spinach, and finish cooking. Season with salt.