- 2 pounds rhubarb, cleaned, trimmed, peeled if necessary, and diced
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup dried cherries (dried raisins, cranberries or minced dried apricots may be substituted)
- 5 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons dry red wine
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch each of cinnamon, allspice and cayenne
- ½ cup minced red onion
- ¾ cup of 1/2-inch slices of celery
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (2 servings)
618 calories; 2 grams fat; 0 grams saturated fat; 0 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 147 grams carbohydrates; 11 grams dietary fiber; 122 grams sugars; 6 grams protein; 649 milligrams sodium
- Place the rhubarb in a colander, and sprinkle with the sugar. Let it drain for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the honey, cherries, vinegar, wine, mustard seeds, salt and spices in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until syrupy.
- Stir in the onion and celery, and cook for 2 minutes. Add the rhubarb, and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Avoid overcooking (the rhubarb should be tender but not mushy).
- Add the jalapeno and the orange zest; cook 1 minute. Stir in the lime juice, remove from the pan and let cool. Serve at room temperature, or chilled.