- 1 pound cleaned fresh or frozen raw octopus
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 stalks celery, with leaves
- 1 small onion, quartered
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (2 servings)
226 calories; 2 grams fat; 0 grams saturated fat; 0 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 9 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram dietary fiber; 1 gram sugars; 34 grams protein; 108 milligrams cholesterol; 539 milligrams sodium
About 14 ounces cooked octopus
- Put the octopus in a deep saucepan with vinegar, peppercorns, celery and onion. Cover with cold water. If possible, toss in two or three corks from wine bottles; they are supposed to help tenderize octopus.
- Bring to a simmer, and cook uncovered for an hour. Drain the octopus and transfer it to a bowl of ice water. Allow it to cool completely; then dry it before using in another recipe.