- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (green part removed)
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 10-ounce can plum tomatoes, with their juice, chopped
- 1 pound green de Puy lentils
- 6 to 8 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¾ pound young spinach leaves
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (8 servings)
344 calories; 8 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 5 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 48 grams carbohydrates; 7 grams dietary fiber; 6 grams sugars; 21 grams protein; 6 milligrams cholesterol; 345 milligrams sodium
8 to 10 servings
- Soften the onion with the garlic and the celery in the olive oil. Add the tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes, stirring. Add the lentils and the chicken stock. Bring to a boil, turn down the heat and simmer for 45 minutes. If the soup is too thick, add more stock.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add spinach leaves, stir and heat through. Serve immediately.
- A little creme fraiche can be spooned into each person’s bowl just before the soup is served.