- 2 pounds fennel
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons currants
- 1 tablespoon no-salt-added chicken stock (optional)
- 8 ounces fresh fusilli or other small pasta
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 slices crusty Italian or French bread
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (2 servings)
766 calories; 15 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 7 grams monounsaturated fat; 5 grams polyunsaturated fat; 139 grams carbohydrates; 19 grams dietary fiber; 34 grams sugars; 23 grams protein; 450 milligrams sodium
- Heat water for cooking pasta in covered pot.
- Trim tops from the fennel, and cut thin slices off the root ends. Remove tough outer pieces. Wash, and cut into julienne strips.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan until it is medium hot. Add the fennel, orange juice, lemon juice, pine nuts and currants, and cook until fennel is tender. Stir occasionally. If mixture becomes too dry, add the chicken stock.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Season the fennel mixture with salt and pepper. When pasta is cooked, drain it; then, stir it into the fennel mixture. Serve with bread.