- 2 tablespoons shelled pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 cups cubed raw pumpkin
- 5 ½ cups water
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (8 servings)
81 calories; 3 grams fat; 0 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 1 gram monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 11 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams dietary fiber; 4 grams sugars; 2 grams protein; 286 milligrams sodium
- Toast the pumpkin seeds by heating them in a small dry skillet or in a toaster oven. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan. Add the ginger, garlic and cumin and saute, stirring, until garlic turns golden.
- Add the pumpkin and water, bring to a simmer and cook until the pumpkin is soft, about 20 minutes. Puree the mixture in a food processor; then, pass through a sieve and return to the saucepan.
- Reheat, adding lemon and salt and pepper to taste. Thin with a little additional water if desired. Fold in the cilantro. Serve with a sprinkling of pumpkin seeds on each portion.