- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 8 medium zucchini
- 4 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- ½ medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- ¾ pound ground lamb
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 5 imported black olives, pitted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
379 calories; 22 grams fat; 9 grams saturated fat; 9 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 23 grams carbohydrates; 5 grams dietary fiber; 16 grams sugars; 23 grams protein; 63 milligrams cholesterol; 2807 milligrams sodium
- Place the yogurt in a paper-towel-lined sieve and let drain for 2 hours. Meanwhile, halve 4 of the zucchini lengthwise and scrape out the seeds and flesh. Sprinkle the insides with 2 teaspoons of the salt, place cut side down on paper towels and let drain for 2 hours. Cut 3 of the remaining zucchini into small dice, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the salt, place in a sieve and let drain for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, finely dice the last zucchini. Heat the oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and finely diced zucchini and cook until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add the carrot and cook for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Crumble the lamb into the skillet and stir until cooked through, about 4 minutes. Stir in the cumin, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and pepper to taste. Add the mint and olives.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Pat all of the drained zucchini dry. Stir the diced zucchini into the yogurt and set aside. Divide the lamb mixture among the zucchini shells and place in a shallow baking dish that’s been lightly oiled. Top with the yogurt mixture. Bake for 30 minutes. Preheat the broiler. Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the zucchini and place under the broiler until browned. Place 2 stuffed zucchini halves on each of 4 plates and serve.
2 hour 45 minutes