- 3 to 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 red peppers, roasted and peeled, ribs and seeds removed, chopped
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 3 ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup shredded basil leaves
- Freshly grated Parmesan
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
584 calories; 14 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 8 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 97 grams carbohydrates; 7 grams dietary fiber; 10 grams sugars; 17 grams protein; 0 milligrams cholesterol; 16 milligrams sodium
4 main-course servings, 8 first-course servings
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and cook the onion with the garlic until soft. Add the peppers and cook them over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring them occasionally.
- Meanwhile, bring six quarts salted water to a rolling boil and add the spaghetti.
- While the spaghetti is cooking add the tomatoes, salt and pepper to the sweet peppers. Cook for one to two minutes, just enough to heat the tomatoes through. Stir in the basil leaves and correct seasoning.
- Drain the pasta, put it in a heated bowl and toss it with the sauce. Serve grated Parmesan cheese separately.