- 5 ripe plum tomatoes, skins removed and cored (about 1 1/4 pound)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 16 large asparagus, about 2 pounds
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 fillets of black sea bass, skins on (about 1/3 pound each)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
306 calories; 13 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 6 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 15 grams carbohydrates; 6 grams dietary fiber; 8 grams sugars; 34 grams protein; 69 milligrams cholesterol; 459 milligrams sodium
- Halve tomatoes lengthwise, and over a strainer set in a bowl, squeeze to remove juice and seeds. Place tomatoes and strained juice in the bowl of a blender along with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and the vinegar. Blend to a fine puree.
- Cut tough stems from asparagus, and discard. With a vegetable scraper, peel asparagus, starting about two inches from tips. Rinse and drain. Cook in boiling salted water for about 6 minutes. Drain immediately, and cool in ice water. Remove, and set aside.
- With a rubber spatula, push tomato mixture through a fine sieve, to yield about 2 cups of liquid. Place tomato juice in a saucepan, and bring to a simmer. Add basil, remove from heat, cover and let stand in a warm place.
- Cut three 1/4-inch slices from the flower end of each asparagus. Place a tablespoon of butter in a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add the asparagus tips and the rest of the asparagus. Season with salt and pepper. Cook briefly or until just done. Remove asparagus from pan, and keep warm.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a nonstick pan over high heat. Season fish well, and place in pan, skin side down, cooking for about 1 1/2 minutes a side, or until skin is nicely browned. Flip gently, cover, and remove from heat. Fish will continue to cook.
- To serve, remove basil from tomato sauce. Distribute sauce evenly over four warm plates. Place fish, skin side up, over sauce. To arrange asparagus on each plate, distribute small pieces around edge; place two large asparagus pieces alongside fish and lay two more long pieces over them in a criss-cross pattern.