- 5 pounds very ripe tomatoes, cored and cut in eighths
- 1 small red onion, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 ribs celery, with leaves
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 or 2 Serrano or other hot chilis
- 4 sprigs Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- Kosher salt to taste
- Granulated sugar to taste
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
120 calories; 1 gram fat; 0 grams saturated fat; 0 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 26 grams carbohydrates; 7 grams dietary fiber; 16 grams sugars; 5 grams protein; 1192 milligrams sodium
- Place all the ingredients except salt and sugar in a large pot. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, until the tomatoes have fallen apart. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Discard the celery, peppers and parsley. Force the rest of the mixture through a sieve or food mill. Discard the solids and chill the juice.
- Season with a teaspoon of salt, or to taste, and up to 1/2 teaspoon of sugar. Refrigerate. Use within a few days.