- 1 pound mussels, well scrubbed with beards removed
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 large leeks, cleaned, trimmed and cut coarsely (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups cubed onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 small eggplants, about 3/4 pound, trimmed, washed and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 large sweet peppers, cored, seeded and cut into large cubes
- 2 medium-size zucchini, about 3/4 pound, trimmed, washed and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 6 plum tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspsoon dried
- 2 bay leaves
- 24 cured black nicoise or Moroccan olives
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup drained capers
- 1 lemon cut into 12 thin slices, seeds removed
- ¾ pound mahi-mahi fillets, skinless, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ¾ pound monkfish fillets, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound medium-size shrimp, cleaned and peeled
- ½ cup chopped parsley or coriander
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (9 servings)
332 calories; 14 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 9 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 18 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams dietary fiber; 8 grams sugars; 31 grams protein; 132 milligrams cholesterol; 627 milligrams sodium
- Place the mussels in a deep pan, cover tightly and cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes or until they open. Set aside and let cool. Strain the liquid and reserve 1/2 cup. Remove meat from the shells and set aside.
- In a large heavy pan or casserole, heat the olive oil over medium-high flame. Add the leeks, onions and garlic, and cook, stirring, until wilted. Add the eggplant, and increase heat to high. Cook briefly, stirring. Do not let the garlic brown.
- Add to the pan the sweet peppers, zucchini, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Stir. Add the pepper flakes, oregano, thyme, bay leaves, olives, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, capers, lemon and the reserved cooking liquid. Cook, stirring for about 10 minutes. Check seasonings.
- Add the fish fillets, shrimp and cooked mussels. Cover, and cook for about 4 minutes, stirring gently. Let cool, and refrigerate, covered. Serve cold, garnished with sprinkled parsley.
- This dish is best when prepared a day before serving.