- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes or 2 1/2 cups canned plum tomatoes with their juices
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ cup minced onion
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- ¾ cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced mint or basil leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- thin orange slices, halved cherry tomatoes, sprigs of mint or basil
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
75 calories; 2 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 0 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 11 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams dietary fiber; 7 grams sugars; 2 grams protein; 6 milligrams cholesterol; 232 milligrams sodium
- If using ripe tomatoes, wash, core and cut them into chunks, reserving any juice.
- In a wide nonreactive saucepan or skillet, melt the butter, then stir in the onion and the fresh or canned tomatoes and their juices. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the stock, cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and puree in a food processor or put through a food mill. Stir in the orange juice and mint or basil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover, and chill 3 hours or overnight.
- To serve, ladle into bowls and, if desired, garnish with an orange slice or cherry tomatoes and a sprig of mint or basil.