- 2 medium green peppers
- 2 medium red peppers
- 2 large onions, peeled and finely chopped (about 3 cups)
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 ounces rendered chicken fat
- 2 ounces pork belly, skin removed if necessary (available at a butcher’s or specialty store), or pancetta, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 small hot peppers or 6 jalapenos or 1 long hot red pepper cut across into 4 1 1/2-inch lengths
- 2 ¼ pounds ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into 1-inch chunks (about 6 cups)
- 1 4 to 5 pound chicken, cut into 10 serving pieces with back, neck and wing tips reserved for stock
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 branch fresh thyme
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
1872 calories; 159 grams fat; 45 grams saturated fat; 64 grams monounsaturated fat; 32 grams polyunsaturated fat; 26 grams carbohydrates; 7 grams dietary fiber; 14 grams sugars; 79 grams protein; 541 milligrams cholesterol; 1975 milligrams sodium
- Cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise and remove the seeds.Grill or broil,skin side toward the flame (or heating element),until the skin is bubbly (about 15 minutes in an electric oven).
- While the peppers are broiling,prepare the onion and garlic.Place 1/3 of the fat in a large frying pan and melt it over medium heat. Add the pork belly and cook for a few minutes to release some of the fat. Add the onion and 3 cloves of the garlic.Cook,stirring occasionally,until translucent,about 10 minutes.
- Remove the peppers from the oven or grill and place in a paper bag for a few minutes.When the peppers have cooled slightly,remove the skin.Coarsely chop the peppers (there should be about 2 1/2 cups).
- Add the bell peppers and the hot peppers to the onions and garlic.Increase the heat and allow the mixture to color slightly.Add the tomatoes. Continue cooking over high heat for about 5 minutes,or until the tomatoes have collapsed.Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook,partially covered and stirring occasionally,for 40 minutes.
- Twenty minutes before the vegetables are done,season the chicken with salt and pepper.Place the remaining fat in a large,straight-sided frying pan,a wide-mouthed stock pot or braiser.Melt the fat over medium-high heat.Add the chicken pieces,two cloves of garlic,bay leaves and thyme.Brown the chicken on all sides,working in two batches if necessary,so there is no trace of red.
- Return all of the chicken to the pot and add the vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cook at a low simmer for 30 minutes.