- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 chicken legs
- 4 chicken thighs
- 3 large cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 large onion, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 12 cups spinach leaves, washed and stemmed
- 1 28-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, roasted, stemmed, cored and cut into -inch squares
- ½ cup chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium canned
- 4 cups water
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
1417 calories; 90 grams fat; 24 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 37 grams monounsaturated fat; 19 grams polyunsaturated fat; 50 grams carbohydrates; 7 grams dietary fiber; 9 grams sugars; 97 grams protein; 505 milligrams cholesterol; 3060 milligrams sodium
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from the pan. Add 1 teaspoon of oil and the garlic, lower the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until browned, about 10 minutes. Add the spinach, turning it over with tongs, adding more as it wilts.
- When all of the spinach is wilted, stir in the tomatoes and peppers. Stir in the broth. Nestle the chicken down into the mixture and simmer until the chicken is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, after about 20 minutes, place the water and 2 teaspoons of salt in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add the cornmeal in a slow, stream, whisking constantly. Reduce heat, switch to a wooden spoon and stir constantly, until mixture is thick, about 20 minutes.
- Stir the vinegar into the ragout and season with 2 teaspoons of salt and pepper to taste. Divide the polenta among 4 shallow bowls and spoon the ragout over it, including a thigh and a drumstick in each portion. Serve immediately.