- 4 tablespoons ( 1/2 stick) butter
- 2 butternut squash (2 to 3 pounds each), peeled, seeded and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- ½ cup dry or medium-dry sherry
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ cup heavy cream, or to taste
- Fresh pomegranate seeds for garnish
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (10 servings)
171 calories; 7 grams fat; 4 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 1 gram monounsaturated fat; 0 grams polyunsaturated fat; 27 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams dietary fiber; 5 grams sugars; 2 grams protein; 20 milligrams cholesterol; 240 milligrams sodium
10 to 12 servings (about 6 cups)
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the squash, and saute until it begins to soften, about 10 minutes. Add the sherry, salt and pepper, and cover the pan. Reduce the heat to low, and cook until the squash is softened and beginning to brown, about 15 minutes. While the squash is cooking, stir occasionally and add more butter or sherry if it appears too dry.
- Using a food processor, coarsely chop the squash. Add the cream, salt and pepper. Puree until smooth. Correct the seasoning, and add additional cream, if desired.
- Place the pureed squash in a serving dish, and garnish with pomegranate seeds. At the table, pass additional pomegranate seeds in a small bowl.