For the syrup:
- 2 ¼ cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon rose water
For the cake:
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 ¼ cups walnuts, chopped
- ¾ cup ground almonds
- 1 cup sugar
- Juice and grated zest of one orange
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Walnut oil, almond oil or butter for the pan
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (8 servings)
541 calories; 19 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 5 grams monounsaturated fat; 10 grams polyunsaturated fat; 89 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams dietary fiber; 84 grams sugars; 8 grams protein; 116 milligrams cholesterol; 48 milligrams sodium
Eight to ten servings
- To make the syrup, boil the sugar and the water with the lemon juice for 15 minutes. Stir in the rose water. Cool and refrigerate.
- To make the cake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly. Line the bottom of a cake pan with foil or greaseproof paper. Brush the foil with oil or melted butter, pour in the cake mixture and bake for 1 hour, until browned.
- Immediately turn the cake out into a deep dish. Peel off the foil or paper, cut the cake into serving pieces and put them on plates. Drizzle syrup over each piece, allowing them to absorb the syrup for 15 minutes, and serve.
About 1 hour 45 minutes