- ⅓ cup long-grain rice
- 1 ½ pounds asparagus
- 1 or 2 bunches of chives to yield 1/2 cup
- 8 ounces whole red pepper or 7 ounces chopped, ready-cut red pepper (1 1/2 cups)
- A few sprigs fresh thyme to yield 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- ½ pound cooked, peeled shrimp
- 1 orange
- 1 ½ ounces Parmigiano Reggiano (7 heaping tablespoons coarsely grated)
- 2 large eggs
- 5 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 slices crusty country bread
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (3 servings)
439 calories; 10 grams fat; 4 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 3 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 52 grams carbohydrates; 9 grams dietary fiber; 15 grams sugars; 36 grams protein; 255 milligrams cholesterol; 603 milligrams sodium
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the rice with 2/3 cup water and bring to a boil in heavy-bottomed pot. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, cooking a total of 17 minutes.
- Wash and trim asparagus by breaking stalks at the point where the tough woody part meets the tender stalk. Take 1 pound of the asparagus and cut the stalks into 1/4-inch pieces. Steam the asparagus for 3 to 5 minutes, until it is tender but still firm.
- Meanwhile, wash and chop the chives; wash, trim, seed and chop the red pepper into small dices. Wash the thyme and remove leaves from sprigs; cut the shrimp into 1/4-inch pieces; grate the rind of the orange, and grate the cheese.
- Drain the asparagus. Steam the remaining whole asparagus.
- Whisk the eggs and egg whites until they are well beaten. Stir in the chives, red pepper, thyme, shrimp, orange rind, cheese and cut-up asparagus. When rice is cooked, stir in. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a 12-inch nonstick saute pan that can go into the oven over medium-high heat. Add the oil and pour egg mixture in the pan, stirring for about a minute. Reduce heat to low and cook for 2 minutes longer.
- Drain the whole asparagus.
- Place saute pan in the oven and bake until the eggs set, about 5 minutes. Loosen the frittata and place a serving plate over the pan. Flip the frittata on to the serving plate. Surround with the whole asparagus. Serve with bread.