For the pears:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 2 large Comice or Bartlett pears
For the almond cake:
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- ⅔ cup blanched almonds, finely ground
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (6 servings)
609 calories; 28 grams fat; 14 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 9 grams monounsaturated fat; 2 grams polyunsaturated fat; 81 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams dietary fiber; 59 grams sugars; 8 grams protein; 148 milligrams cholesterol; 205 milligrams sodium
6 to 8 servings
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place the butter and brown sugar in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet set over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until the mixture is melted and smooth. Remove the pan from the heat. Peel, halve and core the pears. Set one of the halves aside and cut the other three lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Fan the slices out over the perimeter of the sugared skillet. Slice the remaining half crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices, place it rounded-side down in the center of the pan and fan out the slices. Set the pan aside.
- To make the cake, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and almond extracts. Beat in eggs one at a time. Stir in nuts and then the remaining ingredients. Spoon batter over the fruit; spread it gently with a spatula.
- Bake the cake in the center of the oven until the top is golden and springs back when pressed lightly, about 35 to 40 minutes. Remove and allow to cool in the pan for a few minutes. Set a cake plate upside down over the pan. Using potholders, tightly grasp both the plate and the pan and invert. Ease the pan off the cake and replace any fruit that sticks to the pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.
1 hour 10 minutes