For den miso:
- ⅜ cup sweet white miso
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 3 tablespoons mirin
For the eggplant:
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 medium Japanese eggplants, halved lengthwise
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
447 calories; 23 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 15 grams monounsaturated fat; 4 grams polyunsaturated fat; 52 grams carbohydrates; 17 grams dietary fiber; 33 grams sugars; 8 grams protein; 972 milligrams sodium
- Heat miso, sugar, sake and mirin in small saucepan over moderate heat. Simmer 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- In large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add half the eggplant, and saute on both sides for 8 to 10 minutes, until tender and brown. Remove to plate. Repeat with rest of oil and eggplant.
- Lay eggplants, cut side up, on a serving plate. Spoon over den miso, and sprinkle with sesame seeds.