- ½ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg plus 2 yolks
- 2 cups milk
- 4 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Nutritional Information
Note: Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available data.
Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
443 calories; 22 grams fat; 12 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 6 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 56 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams dietary fiber; 46 grams sugars; 10 grams protein; 166 milligrams cholesterol; 184 milligrams sodium
- Combine sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch and salt.
- Whisk egg and yolks together in a small bowl. Add sugar mixture, and whisk to a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Scald milk in medium heavy saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat immediately. Add 1/2 cup hot milk to egg mixture; whisk until smooth. Slowly pour this mixture back into saucepan with the hot milk. Whisk constantly until smooth.
- Place saucepan over medium heat, and cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat, add chopped chocolate, butter, instant coffee and vanilla. Continue whisking until smooth.
- Scrape the pudding into four individual serving dishes or one bowl. Cool to room temperature, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until chilled, 1 hour or more. Serve with cream, whipped or plain.